Search This Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2011

My take on the new League stats

Windless Waste Cards

I think the League model stats are different as apposed to better. 


Menoth's "Chained Prodigal" is interesting. Blizzard seems useful, but cloud effects are not that hard for Menoth to get, however it's one more defensive buff for Menoth, so that's not bad. Frostbite is a magic ability 7 Spray, so that's situational better then the default magic attack. 

I really like the Tempest Wraith and will likely be playing them in the league. While losing Chain Attack Death chill sucks, gaining Snipe will really help this model out in my opinion. Most games I play with Pistol Wraiths involve them getting close enough to attack, getting a few soul tokens, then getting killed before they can use the soul tokens. Snipes extra range show help them load up on souls early game and hopefully allow then to survive long enough to use those soul token. However the Tempest Wraith has pow 10 pistols instead of pow 12, so those soul tokens might be essential to there use, it your attacking anything with a decent armor rating. Thunderbolt and Black Penny just give you more options and are each pretty awesome effects.

I'm also a fan of the Trollkin Cutthroat (this model seems a lot better then the Trolllkin Skinner, but easier to kill with beasts). 

I might also find room in my Cryx list for the Swamp Gobber Fumigators, as 1 point for a rat 6 pow 12, 8 inch spray is pretty sweet.
I think the Karax Skirmishers are pretty sweet for Skorne as they lose Shieldwall for Gang, while still retaining Girded, so they are immune to blast damage and can protect ofter models from them too.

Yahraph is interesting, but with out a few Teraphs to back it up, it's not that amazing. It gains Reach and now has a pow 13 Aoe instead of it's normal Strafe Attack. Flanking a Terarph makes him pretty sweet.

The Navigator seems cool, its a monster at scenario games, as hit can slam with momentum or pull with it's Reach melee attack, so it's pretty sweet at removing a troubling model from the edge of a scenario zone.

I think I'm least impressed with the Gnarlhorn Bruiser. It trades Counter Slam for Counter Charge, and I feel that's a bit of a downgrade, but losing followup and gaining free charges and Chain Attack:brutality is neat, circle has Warp Wolves that hit harder if you just want a melee beater or if you want to mess with your opposition's turns, counter slam is better.

Shadowfall Archers are also interesting but I don't see why I'd want to use them instead of the normal Archers, but I guess with Raven where they speed the game with the Snipe Spell on them, they don't need that option, so having Shadowfire instead is a boon. Otherwise trading the Continuous effect Fire for Corrosion is not a trade I'd normally make. 

The Manta is another model I'm so-so on. If your not a fan of Stormsmiths, it's pretty cool and can lock down Arcnodes and stuff and it's amphibious so that's neat. However the more I think about it, the more I'm liking it, but it's not enough to tempt me to run out and buy a firefly and play Cygnar this league.   

Dmitai Ulchev is cool, but I don't see anyone playing Kayazy latily, so a Character upgrade for them is neato but unlikely to appear in out league.Baring the fact we probably won't see him in play, he's a nice addition of a Kayazy unit, adding Paymaster that allows Pathfinder or Tough on a unit that's already fast and hard to hit. Alswo I just noticed he's a weapon master too.

Overall I like the new stats for the league, but only a few models really look exciting to me. It I had any Troll Skinner's I would be very tempted to play trolls, but I'm currently happy with the Fumigators and Tempest Wraith.

No comments: